Gekko was founded in 1996 in regional Victoria, Australia.
Gekko started out producing InLine Pressure Jigs for continuous gravity separation. Yet growing demand for energy-efficient devices spurred Gekko to re-invent and advance traditional processing flowsheets.
Innovative modular designs, elegant systems and smart manufacturing launched Gekko as a world technical leader in gold processing and low-energy mining solutions.
To transform mining and the environment.
Elizabeth Lewis-Gray is co-founder and Chair of Gekko Systems, Non-Executive Director of Toronto-based Kirkland Lake Gold, Chair of start-up Gekko Medical, and Founder and Patron of CEEC International Ltd (a not-for-profit focusing on reducing energy consumption in mining).
Elizabeth has been a strong advocate for innovation, collaboration and the METS Industry for almost two decades with long serving roles on the Board of Austmine (including Chair), CSIRO’s Mineral Advisory Board and the Federal Government’s Innovation Australia Board. Her own business, Gekko Systems, is a world leader in gold and silver processing technology, consulting, and energy efficient modular processing solutions. The award-winning company has diversified its operations into the renewable energy and medical technology sectors utilizing its world class innovation, technical, logistics, manufacturing and operating systems. These three businesses and divisions operate as Gekko Medical, Gekko Systems, and Gaia EnviroTech.
Elizabeth is a Fellow of the Academy of Technology Science (FTSE) and Engineering and the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (FAusIMM). In addition she is the recipient of an Honorary Doctorate from Federation University for services to mining and a recipient of Australian 100 Women of Influence Awards and the Warren Engineering Innovation Heroes Award. In 2019, she was delighted to be the second person to be honoured with Life Time membership of Austmine.
Sandy Gray, co-founder and Technical Director of Gekko Systems, is a globally recognized inventor and innovator. He is a recipient of the prestigious Clunies Ross Award , Australia’s pre-eminent award for scientists, technologists and innovators and the UK’s I0M3 Futers Gold Medal. Sandy has also received the AusIMM Mineral Operating Technique Award, the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award (Technology, Communications, E-commerce & Life Sciences – Southern Region), the Victorian Premier’s Design Award and is an inductee of the International Mining Hall of Fame.
Sandy is a world leader in gravity gold and leaching flowsheet design, pre-concentration, polymetallic, materials handling and effective plant design. He invented Gekko’s patented systems including the InLine Pressure Jig, InLine Leach Reactor, G-Rex Resin Exchange and the Python Processing Plant. His inventions are breakthroughs in the field of mineral processing with over 600 installations at mines in 43 different countries over the last twenty-five years.
Andrew Edmondston was appointed as CEO August 2020 after full endorsement by the Gekko Board. Along the way Andrew has worked across many areas of the company’s operations and has a strong understanding of the needs of the customers, staff, and operations.
Andrew drives the strategic direction of the company with a specific focus on reviewing commercial terms and conditions on company projects and general risk management processes. Andrew has extensive financial experience having worked with John Holland Group and Deloitte before joining Gekko and is a Member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia.
Gekko’s commitment is reflected in the following award wins:
- Australian Export Award, Minerals, Energy and Related Services, 2021
- Governor of Victoria Export Award, Minerals, Energy and Related Services, 2020
- Australian Export Award, Minerals, Energy and Related Services, 2016
- Governor of Victoria Export Award, Minerals, Energy and Related Services, 2016
- International Mining Technology Hall of Fame, Concentration, Sandy Gray, 2015
- Coalition for Energy Efficient Comminution Medal, Pre-concentration, Nigel Grigg and Georges Delemontex, 2015
- Mining Magazine Award, Environmental Excellence, 2013
- Australian Premiers Award, Premiers Design Award, 2010
- CGU Ballarat Business Excellence Awards, Business of the Year Award 2009
- CGU Ballarat Business Excellence Awards, Innovation and Technology Award, 2009
- CGU Ballarat Business Excellence Awards, Export Award, 2009
- Australian Mining Prospects Awards, Minerals Processing Plant of the Year, Highly Commended, 2008
- Warren Centre For Advanced Engineering, Innovation Hero Award, 2007
- Australian Mining Prospects Awards, Minerals Processing Plant of the Year, Highly Commended, 2006
- Mining Magazine Award, Benefication, 2005
- Ernst & Young Awards, Entrepreneur of the Year, Technology, Communications, E-Commerce & Life Sciences, Southern Region, 2005
- Inducted into the Manufacturing Hall of Fame, 2004
- Best Early Stage Category Award, Australian Venture Capital Awards, 2003
- CGU Ballarat Business Excellence Awards, Innovation Award, 2003
- Deloitte Technology Fast 50, 2003
- Telstra and Australian Government Small Business Cisco Innovation Award, 2002
- Deloitte Technology Fast 50, 2002
- Clunies Ross National Science and Technology Award (AH Gray), 2002
- Governor of Victoria Export Award, Minerals Section, 2000
- AusIMM Mineral Operating Technique Award (AH Gray), 1998
- Australian Emerging Micro Business Award, 1998
Gekko’s Values: “PRIDE”
Passion & Courage
Maintain the passion & courage to communicate to improve what we do and how we do it.
Respect & Care
Respect & care for staff, family, customers and other stakeholders.
Behave with integrity at all times.
Demonstrate leadership in key global segments and our communities.
Exhibit openness to new ideas, feedback, and personal learning.
“Only through embracing smart ideas together we can transform our world”
At Gekko we believe in collaboration. We work “Smarter Together” with our mission to “transform mining and the environment”.
As a company we have invested the time of over sixty of our outstanding people to better understand what makes us tick. …what we believe in and what drives us to be world’s best. What we discovered is that our team is passionate about transforming mining and the environment for the better and that working collaboratively is necessary to achieve our goals and those of our partners. This is how our full Gekko Systems corporate manifesto or belief was born ..
The Gekko Manifesto/Belief …” only by embracing smart ideas together can we transform our world”
We have summarised this belief in our tag line “smarter together”. It seems obvious to us that to achieve meaningful change, we have to work together.
Gekko in the Community
Gekko’s global reputation for providing solutions and making a difference extends to nurturing proactive teams and supporting personal development in local communities.
Gekko in the Environment
Through world technical leadership and a direct focus on the environment, Gekko are leaders in developing and operating energy-efficient mineral processing technologies.
Gekko in the World
Gekko deliver step-change benefits, on a global scale, through innovative mining solutions. Successful installations rely on Gekko’s strong design, development and support services.